- Are You Ready for College Level English Class?
- Building The Right Environment For Study
- Causes of study stress and how to overcome them
- General study tips for new or returning students
- How To Deal With Study Stress
- How To Deliver A Speech To A Class
- How To Overcome Study Block
- How To Study In A Group
- How To Take Notes In Class
- How to Focus When Studying and Be Completely Prepared for Your Exam
- How to Study for an Exam, Without Cramming
- How to Work Together as a Group To Deliver a Group Presentation (General Tips)
- How to avoid study procrastination
- How to stay healthy for studying
- How to use the Internet to study
- Memory Tips For Studying
- Note Taking and Revision Tips
- Study Tips: Audiobooks and studying on public transport
- Three Essay Writing Tips And The Difference between Spoken English and Written English
- Common Themes in Literature
- Best Places To Study For An Exam
- Getting the Most Out of Your Studying Time
- How To Deliver A “High Distinction” Presentation
- Studying for a Science Exam
- Proper Ways to Take Notes When Reading
Bio Poem: Sample Bio Poems
Bio Poem Assignment
The novel The Scarlet Letter is filled with symbolism: the letter, a rose, weeds, and a pearl just to name a few. Write a bio-poem about one of the main characters: Hester, Pearl, Dimmesdale, or Chillingworth, and attach it to a symbol that is appropriate to his/her character.
Include 11 lines and follow this pattern:
Line 1: Your character’s first name
Line 2: Four words that describe your character
Line 3: Brother or sister of...
Line 4: Lover of...(three ideas or people)
Line 5: Who feels...(three ideas)
Line 6: Who needs...(three ideas)
Line 7: Who gives...(three ideas)
Line 8: Who fears...(three ideas)
Line 9: Who would like to see...
Line 10: Resident of
Line 11: His or her last name
In at least one of the lines refer to some symbol in the book that helps describe the personality, emotions, or actions of the character featured in your poem.
Sample Bio Poem
Since you all read To Kill a Mockingbird last year and know the characters in that novel, I wrote a sample bio poem featuring Scout as the main character and included the symbol of the mockingbird in the poem, just as the assignment requires.
Tomboy, brave, intelligent, loving
Sister of Jem
Lover of justice, chewing gum, reading, and Alabama summers
Who feels outrage when her dad is maligned, happiness when school is over, and fright on a dark Halloween night.
Who needs her dad's acceptance, Jem's loyalty, and Dill's admiration
Who gives friendship easily, black eyes to cousins, and sassy words to Calpurnia
Who fears Boo's dark house, owls in the night, and giving her open palms to the teacher
Who would like to see all mockingbirds sing freely whether they are creatures of flight, shy neighbors, or kind handymen
Resident of Maycomb, Alabama