- Are You Ready for College Level English Class?
- Building The Right Environment For Study
- Causes of study stress and how to overcome them
- General study tips for new or returning students
- How To Deal With Study Stress
- How To Deliver A Speech To A Class
- How To Overcome Study Block
- How To Study In A Group
- How To Take Notes In Class
- How to Focus When Studying and Be Completely Prepared for Your Exam
- How to Study for an Exam, Without Cramming
- How to Work Together as a Group To Deliver a Group Presentation (General Tips)
- How to avoid study procrastination
- How to stay healthy for studying
- How to use the Internet to study
- Memory Tips For Studying
- Note Taking and Revision Tips
- Study Tips: Audiobooks and studying on public transport
- Three Essay Writing Tips And The Difference between Spoken English and Written English
- Common Themes in Literature
- Best Places To Study For An Exam
- Getting the Most Out of Your Studying Time
- How To Deliver A “High Distinction” Presentation
- Studying for a Science Exam
- Proper Ways to Take Notes When Reading
Effective Ways in Taking Notes When Studying from a Book
When studying from a book, it is always a good idea to highlight the key words and phrases and take notes. This is also called interactive reading. Experts say that you are more likely to remember and retain more information if you write, highlight or underline what you are reading. You can also paraphrase the important parts of the book in your own words.
Imagine studying by just reading the book passively and hoping you remember all that information. Interactive reading makes you learn and understand the materials in the book clearly.
You have to highlight the important parts of the book. It is not necessary to highlight all the sentences in the book. Find the major points in one paragraph and highlight it.
If the book has blank margins, you can write on the blank margin spaces. It is better if you rephrase the key points in your own words. You can understand the notes better by using your own words. Avoid copying the original sentences.
If you do not want to write on the book or put any markings on it, you can use sticky notes. Bookmark the important pages with your sticky notes.
Get a piece of paper and summarize some paragraphs that are very important. Do not copy the book word for word. Paraphrase and use your own words so you can easily understand and remember these information. Do not forget to write down the page number in case you want to go back and look at the original text.
Your exam may include questions where you have to answer in essay form. In order to prepare for this, you can write your own questions when studying from a book. This is like quizzing yourself. Then answer the questions and write it down based on your own opinion and ideas.
You can now combine all the notes you have taken from the book. The sticky notes, the summarized parts, the paraphrased parts and others should be reviewed thoroughly. By doing this, you can concentrate your studies on the most important parts of the book.