The online dating scene can seem a little daunting to a newcomer, putting yourself out there in Internet-land, ready to be shot down. Like all new things, there’s a lot to learn, and with that in mind, here are a few mistakes to avoid with online dating.
- Failure to create a good bio/profile – This is a great opportunity to generate some real interest, yet many people upload photos and say a few words, which is hardly inspiring. Create some intrigue, throw in a little mystery, and who knows who you will attract?
- Too many images with the opposite sex can be off-putting for some; seeing a handsome guy who always seems surrounded by beautiful women might not be the ideal way to set the scene. Sure, post a couple of photos with members of the opposite sex, just not too many. If you are into bondage, for example, it might not be a good idea to announce this with images of a girlfriend who is tied up!
- Finding out too much before a first date – When you think about it, meeting someone for the first time should involve naturally discovering more about the person; yet if you’ve been madly texting each other for weeks and you finally meet, there’s a kind of void, as you know a lot about the person already. Leave a little mystery for that magical (or not) first meeting and let nature take its course.
- Bringing negativity into the relationship – A toxic person might wish to tell you about their last relationship and how their ex was a total narcissist, which should be a warning. Some people love to play the victim card, and if you notice someone looking for sympathy, this is one to watch. It is normal to bring old partners into the frame when you both know each other well, not right at the start of a relationship, so be on your guard.
- Telling untruths – A lie is fine, then you need to tell another to support the untruth, and that might be fine too, but eventually, you will trip yourself up, and your new partner will realize that you told a few lies. All relationships are built on trust, and lying out of the trap does not bode well.
- Being too idealistic – It is easy to sit back and settle for nothing less than your dream partner; At the same time, such a person might exist in this universe; humans are incredibly complex, and putting people into stereotype slots can be a big mistake. You are more likely to be disappointed if you set high expectations, be a little adventurous, and have an open mind; not every man with body art is into beer, pizza, and UFC.
Consider your bio carefully; being a little mysterious is fine, but don’t overdo it.